The unofficial kickoff to Summer is almost here… that’s right, we are counting down to Memorial Day! If you’re planning the get-together this year, we have some tips for you to make the day as eco-friendly as possible.
- Shop locally. Shopping at local stores in your neighborhood (and not a large chain) encourages farmers in your area to grow more food, and it also means less fuel spent shipping goods out to other parts of the country. As you are gathering decorations and supplies for the event, reducing your travel time and that of the goods you purchase will help contribute to a cleaner environment.
- Use biodegradable dishes and utensils. Just say no to Styrofoam cups this year! Make sure all of your plates and forks can be recycled, and set up a giant recycling receptacle for everyone to use. The Earth will be grateful that you’re not adding to the landfill.
- Make your own party decorations. This will not only save you money, but it can be something fun that you work on with your kids or significant other. You can use recycled materials to create your decorations and even recycle a few of your own to make them. Be sure to keep the decorations you make for use during future patriotic parties.
- Mind the grill. Using a solar-powered grill would be the best option in terms of clean energy, but if that’s not possible, opt for a grill that burns natural gas as opposed to charcoal.
- When the party’s over, compost. Compost leftover food scraps and other organic trash to re-use waste – the environment will love it!