It’s January – which means it can get COLD in Virginia! This Winter, we have already experienced a crazy amount of snow, with just one snowfall so far in December (although a new snow threat looms for this coming weekend). Here are four tips to help you and your home stay warm in the midst of Winter.
- Reverse your ceiling fan. Instead of turning your ceiling fans completely off, flip the switch to reverse them and let them run! This will circulate the warm air in your home and push it downward.
- Air seal your home. Reducing the amount of air that leaks in and out of your home is a cost-effective way to cut heating and cooling costs, improve durability, increase comfort, and create a healthier indoor environment. Caulking and weatherstripping are two simple and effective air-sealing techniques that offer quick returns on investment, often one year or less.
- Look into insulating options. Spray foam in your basement, crawl space, or attic is a great solution to keep the cold air out in the Winter. Plus, you’ll be planning ahead – spray foam keeps your home cooler in the Summer time as well.
- Dine in as often as you can. Not only will you save money by doing this, but you can actually warm your home by cracking the oven door after making your meals.
If you have any questions about the insulation process that we use, or you’d like to get a free quote for your home, visit www.creativeconservation.com!
At Creative Conservation, we are big believers in saving energy – that’s what our business is all about! One of the added benefits of energy conservation is saving money on your monthly utility bills. Going green helps you keep the green! The Energy Saver Guide, which can be found on the energy.gov website, is chock-full of great tips to help reduce your energy consumption. You can find the entire guide here.
When you’re ready to make your home energy-efficient and more comfortable than ever, make sure you consider spray foam for your attic and crawl space. We can help!
Posted in Energy Conservation, Energy Saving, Environment
Tagged conservation, creative conservation, earth-friendly, energy, energy consumption, energy efficient, energy savings, environment, insulation, spray foam insulation
The holidays are a time to celebrate! As we all know, it’s very easy to get caught up in the rush of the season. We spend a lot of money on gifts for loved ones. We cook, bake, rush around to various Christmas parties and school functions – there’s a lot to think about during this time of the year. Before you know it, we’ve spent a ton of energy and created a lot of waste.
Consider these statistics:
- Americans throw away 25% more trash between Thanksgiving and New Year’s.
- About 35% of Americans have an unused Christmas present collecting dust in their closets.
- 8,000 tons of wrapping paper are used at Christmas each year, equating to roughly 50,000 trees.
There are many easy ways to conserve during the holidays; here are some ideas below:
- Use artificial trees – if that doesn’t work for you, buy a living tree that you can replant outside after the holidays are over.
- Be energy efficient – use few or no lights, go LED, decorate creatively with natural materials, make your own gifts (at least some of them), get creative and make it a family affair!
- Shop online, or take your own shopping bags when you’re out and about.
- Donate to a charity or service organization in the name of a friend – giving is what it’s all about, right?
- Use creative materials for gift wrap, such as: scarves, fabric, handkerchiefs, old maps, sheet music, advertisements in the newspaper – just to name a few!
- Eat sustainable food
- Avoid disposable containers
Some of these ideas will allow you to craft, explore your creativity, and spend time with your family – all while giving back to Mother Earth. Above all, make sure you take the time to enjoy the wonder of the season. Happy Holidays from Creative Conservation!
Posted in Ashland, Energy Conservation, Energy Saving, Environment, Holidays, Recycling
Tagged christmas holiday, conservation, creative conservation, energy conservation, going green, going green for holidays, holidays, sustainable, sustainable lifestyle, sustainable products, sustainablility
Here at Creative Conservation, it is our mission to be an industry leader in energy-saving solutions for your home. From an energy-saving perspective, there’s a lot you can do to prepare your home for Winter – will the added benefit of home comfort and cost-savings. This post from Popular Science offers some very helpful tips when it comes to saving energy during the cold months: https://www.popsci.com/stay-warm-winterize-your-house#page-3
As always, if you are looking for a permanent way to upgrade your home, live comfortably, save energy and the environment – call us! We would love to provide you with a free estimate to install a sprayed system for your home.
Posted in Energy Conservation, Energy Saving, Spray foam
Tagged ashland, ashland va, creative conservation, earth-friendly, eco-friendly, energy conservation, energy efficient, energy saving, environment, winter preparedness